tags, yet again

From: Ian Zimmerman
Subject: tags, yet again
Date: 29 Aug 2005 23:47:46 -0400

Does anyone actually understand the algorithm for selecting a location
to jump to with Alt-. ?

The documentation for find-tag-noselect says:
When there are multiple matches for a tag, more exact matches are found first.

But, I've frequently seen Alt-. to jump to a differently capitalized version
of the symbol under point first, even when there's an exact match available.
I thought the following hack would fix it:

(defadvice tag-exact-match-p (around tag-exact-case-sensitive
                                     activate compile)
  "Exact means exact, ie. case-sensitive."
  (let ((case-fold-search nil))
    ad-do-it))

But _no_, it still happens <groan>.  This is actually a longstanding gripe
which made me abandon tags in favor of other similar mechanisms like imenu
and id-utils.  But tags do have some endearing qualities, and there's the
mystery aspect of the situation.  So, how to make the exact match to be
selected first, _always_?

--
Optimist: We're only two weeks behind schedule.
Pessimist: The schedule is a whole two weeks ahead of us.