Re: how to change file coding system

From: Martin Monsorno
Subject: Re: how to change file coding system
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 10:46:55 +0200

jasonr (Jason Rumney) @  f2s.com writes:

> Martin Monsorno <monsorno@gmx.de> writes:
>
>> it says:
>>
>> ,----
>> | Multibyte characters awareness:
>> |   default: nil
>> |   current-buffer: nil
>
> There's your problem. Check your environment for a variable
> EMACS_UNIBYTE.
> Check the way you are starting Emacs, do you have a script or alias
> that is actually running "emacs --unibyte" instead?
> Lastly, check your .emacs. I don't remember exactly how to switch
> Emacs into unibyte mode from there, nor if it is still even possible
> for more than just current-buffer, but it probably involves either
> the string unibyte, or multibyte in the name of the variable or
> function.

Well, I didn't find anything that seems to be directly involved with
this unibyte mode stuff, /but/ while searching around I found the
rather harmless sounding function "standard-display-european", that I
inserted im my .emacs some time ago (must be long long ago), because
it fixed the display of german umlauts.  The function doc says:

,----
| Enabling European character display with this command noninteractively
| from Lisp code also selects Latin-1 as the language environment, and
| selects unibyte mode for all Emacs buffers (both existing buffers and
| those created subsequently).  This provides increased compatibility
| for users who call this function in `.emacs'.
`----

After switchin this off, everything now works absolutely perfect.
Umlauts are displayed correctly in latin-1 and utf-8 files and the
encoding is displayed in the lower left corner of emacs.

Thanks to you all for helping me to clear this issue!

PS: I promise I will start emacs with "emacs --no-init-file" when
registering strange things like these from now on!  I promise I will
start emacs with "emacs --no-init-file" when registering strange
things like these from now on!  I promise I will start emacs with

--
Martin