Re: How can I store myfile as pdf type using emacs?

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: How can I store myfile as pdf type using emacs?
Date: 02 Sep 2005 17:08:20 +1000

Qiang <linux.liuqiang@163.com> writes:

> I want to store my file edited by emacs as pdf type. I wonder if there is one
> .el file able to execute this function.
> Can you tell me?

More information required. If you want to produce PDF files from
within emacs, there are a number of solutions - all of them need
additional utilities, so a lot depends on your platform. Some possible
solutions are

1. Use LaTeX and emacs AucTex mode (needs the tetex package)
2. Use docBook and emacs nxml mode (needs a docbook2pdf utility)
3. Use emacs muse mode (also needs external utilities)

There are other solutions. There is no elisp package I know of which
can create a pdf file from an ascii/utf-8/whatever text file on its
own and without support from other external packages.A PDF file is
essentialy compressed postscript and translating plain text to PDF is
a complex task which would reuire considerable elisp coding and I
expect would be a bit slow (though the postscript printing of buffers
might provide some guidence).

Tim

--
Tim Cross