Re: tramp2 not loading (?)

From: ken
Subject: Re: tramp2 not loading (?)
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2005 11:39:30 -0400

On Fri, 02 Sep 2005 09:48:54 +0200
Michael Albinus <michael.albinus@gmx.de> wrote:

> ken <gebser@speakeasy.net> writes:
>
> > I should also amend:  I'm actually using tramp2
> > (if that makes a difference).
>
> It does. tramp2 is a code basis which hasn't been completed (and
> nobody is working on it actively). So please use the code under
> <tramp path>/lisp.

Okay.  That seems to be the problem.  Since deleting the tramp2
directory under site-lisp, I don't have any tramp files anymore.  It
looks like I'm starting over with tramp.

What/which tramp version should I use?  I don't remember where I got the
tramp2 tarball, just that I got it fairly recently... within the past
couple of months.  I'm running Suse 9.3 Pro and would prefer an
appropriate RPM so that the install data is put into the RPM database.
Failing such a package, I wouldn't be averse to using the old-style
tarred-up package.

> > # ll /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/tramp2/
>
> That's surprising. I believe Tramp's Makefile doesn't install tramp2
> anywhere. How did you get it at this location?

When I compiled the source, the resulting code appeared under the subdir
where the tarball was unpacked to (under a user home directory).  Since
it wasn't going to run from there, I moved it manually to under
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/.

> Best regards, Michael.

Thanks again for the help.
ken

do.  Why? ...In order to afford the sort of existence we don't care to
live.   -- Bradford Angier