RE: I need an Emacs-file..

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: I need an Emacs-file..
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2005 07:30:10 -0700

    > Since the one I have is named wrongly... And Windows don't
    > seem to accept me renaming it...

    My crystal ball says you meant the `.emacs' file.  Windows does allow
    such file names, but some Windows programs, like the Explorer, don't
    like them.  One way to rename the file is to start the Command Prompt,
    then go to the correct directory, and type "ren foo .emacs" (replace
    "foo" with the actual name of the file).

    Alternatively, start Emacs, then type "C-x C-f ~/.emacs RET", and then
    paste whatever contents you want there, and save the file.

Or rename it in Emacs (Dired):

 emacs -q
 Put the cursor on the file's line.
 Type `R'.
 Type the new name.

Also, be aware that you can name the file "_emacs" instead of ".emacs". That
is a name acceptable to even older versions of Windows.