Re: newbie elisp question

From: Pascal Bourguignon
Subject: Re: newbie elisp question
Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2005 02:08:01 +0200

"B. T. Raven" <ecinmn@peoplepc.com> writes:
>> (defun goto-vowel ()
>>  "Skip to next vowel after point."
>>  (interactive)
>>  (while (not (looking-at "[aeiouy]") (forward-char)))
>
> Why the quotes? Is this acceptable reg-exp syntax?

I don't see any quote in this function. quote = '
I see four double-quotes that delimit two strings. double-quote = "
There are also a pair of brackets = [] inside one of this strings, which is
a regexp syntax to mean any of the characters inside the brackets.

> Which leads to my final
> question: Has anyone here successfully copypasted from a utf-8 buffer to
> another Windows application that supports Unicode? My emacs is a w32
> build (21.3) and I can only accomplish the transfer of arbitrary unicode
> strings by saving to a file as utf-8, opening or inserting the file
> (encoded text) with Open Office, and then copypasting from there. Any
> ideas?

It should be enough to configure the encodings. Something like this in
~/.emacs:

        (set-language-environment               'UTF-8)
        (set-default-coding-systems             'utf-8)
        (setq file-name-coding-system           'utf-8)
        (setq default-buffer-file-coding-system 'utf-8)
        (setq coding-system-for-write           'utf-8)
        (set-keyboard-coding-system             'utf-8)
        (set-terminal-coding-system             'utf-8)
        (set-clipboard-coding-system            'utf-8)
        (set-selection-coding-system            'utf-8)
        (prefer-coding-system                   'utf-8)
        (modify-coding-system-alist 'process "\\*shell\\*\\'" 'utf-8-unix)

Litter box not here.
You must have moved it again.
I'll poop in the sink.