Re: Calling `compile` command on a remote host

From: Ian Zimmerman
Subject: Re: Calling `compile` command on a remote host
Date: 08 Sep 2005 21:35:48 -0400

Anakreon> I use tramp to edit files on a remote host from within emacs.
Anakreon> This works fine but I'd prefer to call the [Alt+x compile]
Anakreon> command on those files. Now I use ssh to call 'make' on the
Anakreon> remote host which has the disadvantage that the errors found
Anakreon> during compilation are reported on the console.

Anakreon> Is there a way to convince the compile command to call 'make'
Anakreon> on the remote host via ssh?

I don't understand.  Why not just invoke the M-x compile and override
the default command?  The output from ssh (which is actually the output
from the remote make) should be trapped in the *compilation* buffer
just as if you chose any other command.  Or not?

--
Optimist: We're only two weeks behind schedule.
Pessimist: The schedule is a whole two weeks ahead of us.