how to pass \b to grep on w32?

From: John Steele Scott
Subject: how to pass \b to grep on w32?
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 11:28:37 +0930

Hi,

I am trying to pass the following to M-x grep:

grep -nHr --include=*.c . -e \bWORD\b

On my GNU/Linux system, this works (if I put quotes around the regexp
and include string), but on Windows XP, it doesn't work (no matches are
found, when I know there should be some). If I just have WORD as the
regexp, it works fine, but it's matching DWORD, and I only want to find
WORD (I'm trying to make a 16-bit program 32-bit clean, blech).

It seems to me that something is fouling up the \b part of the regexp.
Can someone tell me how to get the \b through to grep?

I am using Emacs 21.3.50.8 of 2003-12-29 from TEI Emacs, but I have
replaced the grep from TEI by GNU Grep 2.5.1 from the GNUWin32 project.

cheers,

John