Re: etags: M-. jump to the tag(called func), but then how can i jump BAC

From: Ilya Zakharevich
Subject: Re: etags: M-. jump to the tag(called func), but then how can i jump BACK(the calling line)?
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2005 00:58:39 +0000 (UTC)

David Kastrup
<dak@gnu.org>], who wrote in article <85acih4cmy.fsf@lola.goethe.zz>:

> >> Hardly.

> This means the "gaping hole".

Sorry that I was not clear enough: I understood this.

> > a) Can't parse your last paragraph;
>
> It was just the online help.

Kevin Rodgers provided a very nice roundup; can it replace this
cryptic paragraph?

> So you want to claim a deficiency in Emacs because you don't want to
> try out the function and keybinding which it provides for that
> purpose?

Again, sorry that I was not clear enough.  On the contrary, I'm very
glad that finally, after more than a decade of bitching (while having
the working code available!) this feature is finally available in the
standard distribution.  A lot of thanks for including it!

So my "gaping hole" comment is due to my illiteracy.

All that I said is that

  a) I have no incentive to check whether the Emacs 21.4
     implementation is sane; and

  b) that my prior experience does not allow for a lot of hope in "a"
     (I remember there was *some* tricky stuff to code in imenu-go;
     but the only thing which immeditely jumps to mind is not related
     to return-back functionality; so, contrary to what I wrote, it is
     quite possible that there is no pitfall to avoid...).

Hope this helps,
Ilya

P.S.  Now, when End key finally does what users want, and there is a
      way to invert jump-to-tag, what about "the other stuff"?  What
      immediately comes to mind is "redo" functionality.  Is it
      available in 21.4?