Re: Redo/Undo (was: etags: M-. jump to the tag(called func), ...)

From: B. Smith
Subject: Re: Redo/Undo (was: etags: M-. jump to the tag(called func), ...)
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 09:00:05 +0200

On Sep 18, 2005, at 03:05, Ilya Zakharevich wrote:

And judging from your reply, still no 'redo' functionality, right?

Redo, as in the opposite of Undo, yes? (i.e. not as in repeat-complex- command.)

There is redo functionality it just doesn't present itself as a separate action. If you interrupt a series of undo operations with an editing operation, you'll find that the behavior of undo changes: it first undoes the interrupting edit, then undoes the undo operations (i.e. "redo"). Once it's reached the end of the undo history, it reverts to "normal" undo behavior. Give it a try. It's easier to observe than explain.

I've gotten so used to it that I don't even notice it when I'm using emacs anymore, though I confess I don't have as clear a mental model of what's going on as I'd like -- at least not clear enough to be able to draw a little ascii-art diagram. Might be a nice addition to emacs info. Perhaps someone can explain the idea behind this behavior to me in such a way that I can draw a picture.

// Ben