Re: How to avoid splitting words on newline?

From: Mathias Dahl
Subject: Re: How to avoid splitting words on newline?
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 09:32:36 +0200

>> In emacs if I write a word it will get split in two when I get to
>> the right
>> margin. How do I get the whole word on the next line?
>>

> I've never seen GNU Emacs split a word -- it's not a text processor
> and splits a line or sentence only between the words. You too can set
> fill-column to a very high value, 99.999 for example. This will make
> the line quite long ..

My guess is that the original poster have another definition of "word"
than you have. :)

In English, the primary "rule" seems to be to separate words instead
of writing them together. To use an example from your text above:
"text processor". Emacs will split that "word" for me if it is at the
end of a line and auto-fill-mode is on. In Swedish, that would have
been "ordbehandlare" (which are really two words mashed together,
"ord" and "behandlare" (word + processor)).

So, to answer the original poster, change your language to Swedish and
all of your problems will be solved... :)

/Mathias