Re: emacs 22 release

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: emacs 22 release
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 22:18:10 +0100

> In my 'standard' edition of GNU Emacs 22 I have not changed the
> default values. Adding
>
>       (setq unify-8859-on-encoding-mode nil)
>       (setq unify-8859-on-decoding-mode t)
>
> makes no change in that field which I address in my writing

As per the documentation for those variables, you can't just set them
like that. Also, I think you want them both set to t, otherwise you
will have problems writing files in various encodings, due to the
buffer representation being a different encoding than what you are
trying to save as. You probably need to kill existing buffers and
reread the files after changing unify-8859-on-decoding-mode, since it
only has any effect when reading files/process output etc.

>> >     These characters in the buffer can't be printed:
>> >     €,  , ¡, ¢, £, €, ¥, Š, §, š, ©, ª, «, ¬, ­, and more...
>> >
>> > And it's not even true, since I can see ¡, ¢, £, §, ©, ª, «, ¬, ­ ...

This is probably because those characters pass through
unify-8859-on-encoding-mode to convert them to Latin-1 after the
message has already been displayed. Out of the box, ps-print only
handles Latin-1, but there are variables to control this.

> Not yet, but you motivate me to do so! (Again. I think I reported
> something similiar earlier this year and Kenichi Handa then made some
> changes that the message about unprintable characters became more
> realistic, being based on the actual glyphs of the encoding used. He
> promised that in Unicode Emacs 23 the problem will be solved. Could be
> some backlash happened in the meantime that the reports are not true
> again ... as in real life and its politics. Or politicians?)

I think the change you are talking about was when saving a file. The
code for printing is different, so a separate fix will be required
there.

>  From these bugs I'd like to estimate that Unicode Emacs 23 will be
>  released before GNU Emacs 22. It's worth to go directly to Unicode,
>  without wasting the valuable resources of the developers.

Using Unicode in Emacs will not magically fix postscript. There is
more work involved in getting all the peripheral code like ps-print to
take advantage of the Unicode support in the core of Emacs 23 than
there is in fixing a few minor bugs in Emacs 22.