Re: Issues running shell/tshell

From: Pascal Bourguignon
Subject: Re: Issues running shell/tshell
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 15:58:46 +0200

aizenman@gmail.com writes:

> Hi all,
>
> I'd like to run a shell in emacs because I hear that it's so damn cool
> :-) But both shell options (shell and tshell) have their issues that
> make them unuseable.  Does anyone know the solutions?
>
> -shell-
> I'd like to be able to use up and down arrow to get history.  Is there
> perhaps a line I can put in my .emacs to give me that option?
>
> -tshell-
> Formatting is terrible:
> ~/foo/ > ls
> aasdfasdf               basdfasdf*             casdfasdfasdf*
>
>                asdfasdfasdf               fgsdfgsdfg
> xcvzxcveafgds
>                                                              qweryietyur
>           vbmnfjkfk
>
> Any thoughts on how to make it recognize the screen width?

I don't know tshell, but perhaps:
   stty columns 80
could help.
What does:
   stty -a
print?

> -general-
> Is there a way to get proper syntax coloring?

(add-hook 'shell-mode-hook
          (lambda ()
            (set-variable 'tab-width 8)
            (setf comint-process-echoes t)
            (when (fboundp 'ansi-color-for-comint-mode-on)
              (ansi-color-for-comint-mode-on))))

--
"You question the worthiness of my code? I should kill you where you
stand!"