Re: emacs 22 release

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: emacs 22 release
Date: Sat, 1 Oct 2005 16:14:07 +0200

Am 01.10.2005 um 14:13 schrieb Sébastien Kirche:

The key is maybe that I use those settings not to process the postscript data e.g. with ghostscript but to send it directly to a postscript
printer.

Maybe it is what makes the difference ?

How? Is there any reason why GNU Emacs should send different PS code to the *PostScript* buffer then to the printer queue?

I wouldn't buy a printer without PostScript, so I do not have any need to use gs between GNU Emacs or another application and the printer. And it's modern enough to be able to print € or ISO 8859-16 glyphs. It's CUPS that finally takes care for a good printout, being able to convert text to PS too?

There is just one need for gs: to view GNU Emacs' output or to convert this output reliably to PDF. Apple's own pstopdf in Mac OS X fails as does any other application when made to display this: they all first need to convert PS to PDF to make it display (as "Display PDF") in Quartz.

--
Greetings

  Pete

"Eternity is a terrible thought. I mean, where's it going to end?"
                                                   - Tom Stoppard