Re: Using autofill./

From: rgb
Subject: Re: Using autofill./
Date: 4 Oct 2005 10:41:52 -0700

> How do i ask emacs to apply the new line width.
> I tried using <Meta-q> but it makes the above lines as:
>

> Background ---------- * This is a test message. This is a test
> message. This is a test message.  This is a test message. This
> is a test message. This is a test message. This is a test
> message. This is a test message.  * This is a second test
> message.  This is a second test message.  This is a second
> test message.  This is a second test message.  This is a
> second test message.

M-q (aka fill-paragraph) operates on paragraphs.
The regexp's paragraph-start and paragraph-separate are used
to determine what constitutes a paragraph.  Apparently their
current values are considering text as part of a paragraph
that you'd rather it didn't.

As a quick fix.  Separate the paragraphs you want to fill
with blank lines.  Otherwise you need to modify the regexps
to reflect your definition of what does and doesn't belong
to a paragraph.