tramp error: Opening output file: no such file or directory, /usr/src/pa

From: ken
Subject: tramp error: Opening output file: no such file or directory, /usr/src/packages/BUILD/emacs-21.3/src/#todo#
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2005 07:22:18 -0400

A few days I finally got tramp installed and working.  V.2.1.3.  It
connects and opens up files and directories (dired) fine.  Then just
now, while editing a file (named todo) with it, I got this error message
in the minibuffer:

Opening output file: no such file or directory,
/usr/src/packages/BUILD/emacs-21.3/src/#todo#

From the little I know of emacs, I'm guessing that tramp/emacs is
trying to save a temporary file and doesn't have write permission in the
subdir it's configured to do this in.  (It's kind of nuts to have this
subdir as the default for this.)  How do I change this?  I would prefer
to put #todo# in the same subdir as todo... and this would seem to make
the most sense as the default for everyone.

tnx,
ken

do.  Why? ...In order to afford the sort of existence we don't care to
live.   -- Bradford Angier