Re: Print to PDF? Configure fonts used when printing?

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: Print to PDF? Configure fonts used when printing?
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2005 01:35:02 +0200

Am 07.10.2005 um 00:11 schrieb David Reitter:

The problem with a2pdf as I see it is that I won't get syntax highlighting from Emacs. I mean, there's really no point in offering a print function if it doesn't relate to what's shown on the screen, because otherwise one could just fire up Textedit or whatever and copy&paste the buffer over.

Yes, that's true! My PostScript printer is b&w.

On Monday, we had a holiday, I experimented with a2ps. Its output is *often* Apple compliant, meaning it can be converted to PDF with pstopdf. The problems are with the ISO Latin-{2,3,4,5,6,9,10} encodings. The Slavic ones can't be converted because of the a2ps internal use of the ogonkify engine. For the latter encodings a2ps does not seem to understand that many 8 bit characters are correct and printable ...

GNU enscript and a2ps are two utilities that convert text to PostScript with syntax highlighting. Their developers are not easily accessible, and their products are more kind of a workaround than a useful utility when your printer has the € built-in. I hope that in a2ps is a means to switch off ogonkify! Then it would be worth ...

Beside Perl there could be too a programmatic solution based on C and PDFlib.

http://www.inf.enst.fr/~demaille/a2ps/
http://directory.fsf.org/GNU/enscript.html
http://www.pdflib.com/products/pdflib/index.html

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

  Pete

There is no national science just as there is no national
multiplication table; what is national is no longer science.
         -- Anton Checov