Re: Print functions gone - Solved, Thanks Kevin!

From: Joe Bush
Subject: Re: Print functions gone - Solved, Thanks Kevin!
Date: Sun, 09 Oct 2005 19:09:19 GMT

Kevin Rodgers <ihs_4664@yahoo.com> writes:

> Joe Bush wrote:
>  > I do enable 'auto-compression-mode'. Could that be part of the
>  > problem?
>
> It is obviously part of the problem, but the bigger part is the
> lpr.el.gz file in your site-lisp directory.
>
> When you set debug-on-error to t, the *Backtrace* buffer shows:
>    eval-buffer(#<buffer  *load*> nil "lpr" nil t)
>
> Take a look at the buffer named " *load*": C-x b C-q SPC *load* RET
> Does it look normal?  If so, go to the beginning of the code: C-M-S ^(
> and then repeatedly run `C-M-f C-x e' to see which form is signalling
> the error.
>
> Also, try comparing the site-lisp/lpr.el.gz file to lisp/lpr.el, with
> M-x ediff-files.  If there are no differences, or if the differences are
> not desirable, just delete the site-lisp/lpr.el.gz file.
>
> --
> Kevin Rodgers

You were right. I removed lpr.el.gz from site-lisp, and printing came
right back.

As I now recall, I was trying to put the extra packages I'd collected
into a directory where emacs' automated extra package installer could
see and list them. I thought they would show up under the 'Code local to your
system' heading, and read somewhere that it looked in one of the two
site-lisp directorys. I guess that one isn't it..

Thanks again.

Joe.