Re: Keeping run-time code from running at compile-time

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Keeping run-time code from running at compile-time
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 23:48:07 -0400

> I'm having some compiling trouble. File B which requires file A fails to
> compile because file A contains code that should not be run at
> compile-time, just run-time.

Basically you're saying that the compiler should either not load file A when
compiling file B, or load it be "weakly".

Such issues is one of the reasons why toplevel expressions in .el files
should do as little as possible.  So most likely the problem is that your
toplevel expressions in file A should be moved to a function that is called
explicitly from elsewhere (e.g. from a major mode function).

        Stefan