RE: Highlighting the right margin

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Highlighting the right margin
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 14:43:05 -0700

    highlight-beyond-fill-column.el does have this line
    (provide 'highlight-beyond-fill-column)

And you tried:
    (require 'highlight-beyond-fill-column)
    (load-library "highlight-beyond-fill-column")

    Now the .el file came with a tarball I obtained called
    emacs-goodies-el-24.15, and I just dropped the file in my
    /usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp
    Other .el files deposited in that dir have been working great for me.

1. If other libraries in that dir work, then that dir must be in your
`load-path', but check that variable anyway, to make sure.

2. Make sure the `provide' is at the top level of the file, so it is
evaluated by loading.

3. Verify that the `require' or `load-library' is in fact getting evaluated
in your .emacs. Check buffer *Messages* to see if there is a message
indicating that a load was tried but the library could not be loaded. If
not, double-check your .emacs code.

4. Load the file manually, after entering Emacs:

 `M-x load-library RET highlight-beyond-fill-column

If that works, the library is in your load-path, and it should also work in
your .emacs. If it doesn't work, the directory with the library is not in
your load-path.

5. Try to load manually by feature name, not library name:

 `M-: (require 'highlight-beyond-fill-column)

If that works, then the `provide' is working. If that doesn't work, but #4
worked, then the `provide' is not working, for some reason - check it
closer, in the file.

6. Double-check your spelling.

7. Make an sacrificial offering to the EmacsWiki.

HTH.