A true challenge for Emac and Elisp hackers - at Least I think so

From: Gian Uberto Lauri
Subject: A true challenge for Emac and Elisp hackers - at Least I think so
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 14:49:00 +0200

S>    * If I hit RET with any shift-key being pressed simultaneously,
S> RET must behave as any normal RET would (basically a normal
S> linefeed with possible auto-indentation).  This may seem backward
S> but I want almost every line in my sorce to be traceable.

S>    * If I hit RET only, and the following applies:

S>        - It is preceeded by a ';' (semicolon) AND the word 'return'
S> is not part of the current line or:

S>        - It is preceeded by a '{' (curly bracket)

S>      RET adds DBG after the ';' or the '{' with a space in between
S> like so:

S>      ; DBG { DBG

S>      respectively. After that (the same key stroke) , RET behaves
S> like a normal RET would (basically a normal linefeed with possible
S> auto-indentation).

S> I have to admit that this is so far out there (at least for me)
S> that I would need more or less a ready-to-go implementation just to
S> paste into .emacs.

Does this help ?

(defun unusual-return ()
  (interactive)
  (save-excursion)
  (let ((here (point))
        (previous-char (char-before)))
    (beginning-of-line)
    (cond ((string-match "DGB[ \\t]*$"
                         (buffer-substring (point) here))
           (goto-char here)
           (newline-and-indent))
          ((or (char-equal previous-char ?{)
               (char-equal previous-char ?\;))
           (goto-char here)
           (insert " DBG"))
          (t
           (goto-char here)
           (newline-and-indent)))))

You  then add  an  hook to  c-mode  a little  function  that does  the
following:

    tests that the buffer name does  end by .c

    locally sets RET to the function above (or a better one, this is a
    5 minutes game result)

    locally sets S-RET, C-RET and M-RET to newline-and-indent

--