Re: ispell gives "Wrong type argument: stringp, nil"

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: ispell gives "Wrong type argument: stringp, nil"
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 01:11:12 +0200

Am 13.10.2005 um 18:42 schrieb Jeff D. Hamann:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument stringp nil)
  re-search-forward(nil 3 t)
  ispell-get-line(2 3 3)
  byte-code("b,HF Ç(B È \nÆÉ=§

I'm not sure where to go from here...

Me too! I remember that I've seen this myself recently -- and I think this only happens when ispell-program-name is aspell, the new standard in GNU Emacs 22.

Are sure that

        (setq ispell-dictionary "C:/ispell/dic/american.hash")

is correct? What values do you see when go 'Tools menu -> Spell Checking -> Change Dictionary' and then press space? I think you should use a name without path component and without extension, just one of the elements in that list of *Completions*, which should reflect what your system offers.

In theory aspell should know where its dictionaries are on disk (if not, then there's ispell-aspell-dict-dir). The dictionary's name isn't the technical thing with an extension, it's rather its purpose.

--
Greetings

  Pete

Bake Pizza not war!