Re: Difference in major mode autoload between 21.3.x and 22.0.x?

From: Markus Nißl
Subject: Re: Difference in major mode autoload between 21.3.x and 22.0.x?
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 10:08:25 +0200

Slawomir Nowaczyk wrote:
On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 17:15:53 +0200
Markus Nißl <mnissl@arcor.de> wrote:

#> Using Emacs 22.0.50.1, xsl-mode is only loaded automatically when #> I create a new xsl file. When I open an existing xsl file, xml #> mode is loaded instead.

#> Anybody an idea what's wrong?

From the documentation of auto-mode-alist:

    See also `interpreter-mode-alist', which detects executable script modes
    based on the interpreters they specify to run,
    and `magic-mode-alist', which determines modes based on file contents.
I suppose you should take a look at magic-mode-alist

Thank you very much for your information. I now see where the different behaviour comes from.

By far, I'm no Emacs expert ... so, can you give me a hint in which way I have to modify magic-mode-alist so that xsl-mode is being started whenever a file with the extension ".xsl" is loaded?

In 21.x, it was a breeze for an elisp novice to copy those two lines and to adjust them to my needs.

Thank you very much in advance,
Markus