Problems with RCS 5.7 on Windows XP (within emacs)

From: G.R. Toro
Subject: Problems with RCS 5.7 on Windows XP (within emacs)
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2005 22:06:35 -0400

Hi,

I use rcs 5.7 in windows (from within emacs 20.7.1), and I have two
problems.  My apologies if the problems are rcs-related rather than
emacs-related.

The first one is that if I exit emacs before checking in the file I am
editing, then the next time I try to edit the file, emacs tells me that
another user (which happens to be myself) has the file locked for editing.
I have to go through the routine of notifying myself that I stole the lock.
Is there a way to avoid this nonsense?

The second question relates to the RCS_LF_ONLY environment setting.  About
half of my editing of source files in Windows is with files that were
originally created in Unix machines and still have only LF at the end of the
line.  The other half are files created in Windows (with CR-LF at the end of
the line).  I am currently using "RCS_LF_ONLY=something" in the environment
and it appears that the rcs *,v files for Windows source files contain
copies of every version of the entire file, instead of just differences.  Is
there a way to get rcs to handle both file types efficiently?  Also, I
cannot seem to find the place where the RCS_LF_ONLY option is documented.

Thanks,

Gabriel