Re: How to use `narrow'?

From: Ilya Zakharevich
Subject: Re: How to use `narrow'?
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 02:11:14 +0000 (UTC)

David Hansen
<david.hansen@gmx.net>], who wrote in article <874q7e1nfz.fsf@robotron.ath.cx>:
> On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 19:41:51 +0000 (UTC) Ilya Zakharevich wrote:
>
> > No, it does not help.  font-lock widens unconditionally.
> >
> >> ,----[ C-h v font-lock-dont-widen RET ]
> >
> > I would prefer a solution which works in real world, not in some
> > imaginary settings...  However, it is nice that somebody realized that
> > widening is a problem.  When will we see it, in 22.1?

> I'm sorry, i forgot to mention that I'm running emacs from CVS.

Well, I guessed this.  But anyway, just font-lock-dont-widen is not
enough to have robust support for narrowing.  Obviously, there are
cases when this widen() *is* useful.  And there are cases when it is
harmful.

The only way I see which may be usable is a way to mark a *particular*
narrowing operation as requiring (or not) widen() during
fontification.  E.g., one could put some text property on the narrowed
region (as far as widen() is smart enough to remove this text property
afterwards...).

Is there anything like this in CVS?

Thanks,
Ilya