Re: I seek QA for CPerl 5.2 (Emacs mode)

From: Randy W. Sims
Subject: Re: I seek QA for CPerl 5.2 (Emacs mode)
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 22:14:21 -0400

Ilya Zakharevich wrote:
Randy W. Sims
<RandyS@thepierianspring.org>], who wrote in article
<435556D7.7030303@thepierianspring.org>:

One wierd problem I find is if I load two copies of a certain file it becomes develishly slow to do anything, even scrolling. This doesn't seem to happen on all files; not sure if it's size or content related yet.

Eg, If I unpack the Module::Build distribution into two different directories, then load copies of Module/Build/Base.pm from each location, the second buffer becomes slow. The original buffer and any others are not affected. If I close both buffers, then open the same file again, the new buffer is also slow-I must exit emacs and restart before I can work with that particular file because of slowdown.

This is on Debian (testing) with GNU Emacs 21.4.1.

Confirmed on 21.2.  This effect disappears if I switch to an older
version of font-lock (e.g., one on
  ilyaz.org/software/tmp/font-lock-old.zip
).  One does not need to load the same file or a large file; two files
of size about 80K show the same slowdown in
fontification-by-keywords.  (I used Build.pm and Build/Base.pm.)

Go to the ends of both buffers, then start to scroll back - it is
painfully slow in one of the buffers...

I have no idea how to debug this...  My conjecture is that newer
Font-lock somehow starts to think that it needs to fontify the full
buffer instead of doing only the visible part...

Unfortunately, I don't know much lisp, so I can't help there. I did just try it out on my Windows box with XEmacs 21.4.17, same emacs init file. I see no sign of the above problem. The font-lock.el here is:

;; Copyright (C) 1992-1995, 1997 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
;; Copyright (C) 1995 Amdahl Corporation.
;; Copyright (C) 1996, 2000, 2001 Ben Wing.