Re: Unable to send give input to lisp, hassle in non-fundamental modes

From: nick
Subject: Re: Unable to send give input to lisp, hassle in non-fundamental modes
Date: 21 Oct 2005 16:11:30 -0700

>What is C-h k <RET> returning in these modes?

It says:

"ET (translated from <return>) runs the command newline
   which is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `simple'.
It is bound to RET.
(newline &optional arg)

Insert a newline, and move to left margin of the new line if it's
blank.
If `use-hard-newlines' is non-nil, the newline is marked with the
text-property `hard'.
With arg, insert that many newlines.
Call `auto-fill-function' if the current column number is greater
than the value of `fill-column' and arg is nil."

as opposed to

"RET (translated from <return>) runs the command comint-send-input
   which is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `comint'.
It is bound to RET.
(comint-send-input &optional no-newline)

Send input to process.
After the process output mark, sends all text from the process mark to
point as input to the process.  Before the process output mark, calls
value of variable `comint-get-old-input' to retrieve old input, copies
it to the process mark, and sends it.  A terminal newline is also
inserted into the buffer and sent to the process unless no-newline is
non-nil...."

in a shell mode before switching to lisp or haskell mode. I tried "M-x
comint-send-input" in one of these modes and it says "wrong argument
type, markerp nil"

>Why don't you upgrade to 21.4 or a more recent Carbon Emacs (22.0.50
>from CVS)?

Ok, I will try that.

Thanks

Nick