Re: font display

From: John
Subject: Re: font display
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2005 01:47:07 +1000

> Am 22.10.2005 um 07:04 schrieb John:
>
>> emacs -bg black -fg white -bw 0 -fn
>> -*-lucida-medium-r-*-sans-14-140-*-75-p-81-iso8859-1 &
>>

> A short answer: mathematical characters (glyphs) are outside the ISO
> 8859-1 range. You could have more success with an iso10646-1 encoded
> font.

my OP may have been not clear enough,
the problem is not in the mathematical characters, but in lining up
"location of" regular characters in their correct places when their is
a line break.

example
x^2, that is x to the power of 2. would show in most fonts like this:

  2 (this line has a space before the 2)
x   (this line does not have a space before the x)

the problem when using my default font any number of spaces before the 2
could exist thus not presenting the correct value, the further from
the beginning of the line the more spaces exist before the 2, i.e
could vary depending on the length of the equation as well.