Re: Disabling blinking cursor

From: Andrea Vettorello
Subject: Re: Disabling blinking cursor
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 10:12:49 +0200

On 24 Oct 2005 18:13:17 -0700, onestatusquo@yahoo.com
<onestatusquo@yahoo.com> wrote:
> (blink-cursor-mode -1) works but only when I run "emacs&".
>
> When I invoke the -nw option in an xterm, as I always do, it has no
> effect and the cursor blinks no matter what I do.    A bug?

Quoted from the xterm FAQ (http://dickey.his.com/xterm/xterm.faq.html):

"Standard xterm does not implement a blinking cursor. Some of the
variations do: dtterm, GNOME Terminal, and XFree86 xterm (from mid
1999, patch 107). "

I can confirm that on Debian (Sid) the cursor on xterm doesn't blink,
at least as default. If you are using a gnome-terminal you should find
an option on "Profile" to disable blinking, instead if you are using
the text console, you can put the following line

echo -e '\033[?17;0;127c'

somewhere in your command shell startup file.

Hope this helps.

Andrea