Accelerating Emacs?

From: Herbert Euler
Subject: Accelerating Emacs?
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 10:25:41 +0800

Hello everyone,

Emacs is undoubtly the most powerful editor because of
its architecture, Elisp causes lots of problems solvable within
Emacs. But Emacs seems to be a bit slower for the same
reason.

I wrote a Lisp program to generate a huge amount of
random data for testing. This created a file whose size
was 192MB. Then I wanted to edit it and Emacs behaved
like a snail even when deleting a character. Finally I edited
the file with vim and it was not so slow as Emacs.

It might be because Lisp is an interpreting language,
and any operation in Emacs is firstly translated into calling
of Lisp functions and then executed. But common operations
in vim is written in C and linked in the binary executable
file, so vim is fast.

So perhaps I cannot get the power (as well as conveniency)
plus speed at the same time, in another word, it is not
possible to accelerate Emacs. Is this really true?

Regards,
Guanpeng Xu