wikipedia and UTF8 coding (emacs21)

From: Uwe Brauer
Subject: wikipedia and UTF8 coding (emacs21)
Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2005 15:37:00 +0100

Hello

I would like to edit wikipedia articles, using (X)emacs as an external
editor. The perl prg which I use for that purpose allows me to access
to the wiki file either

    -  in iso8859-1 coding or

    -  in UTF8.

The iso coding seem to be broken, I am using xemacs no mule so the
UTF8 option does not work, so I thought of using emacs21 for the
moment, however when opening the relevant file, the UTF8 is not
displayed correctly, I tried to play around with the language setting
but now the coding remains broken, that is I see symbols like Brüder
which should be displayed like Brüder but it is not.

Has anybody experience with wikipedia article using UTF8 coding.

Thanks

Uwe Brauer