Re: wikipedia and UTF8 coding (emacs21)

From: Uwe Brauer
Subject: Re: wikipedia and UTF8 coding (emacs21)
Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2005 19:45:55 +0100

   >> The iso coding seem to be broken, I am using xemacs no mule so the
   >> UTF8 option does not work, so I thought of using emacs21 for the
   >> moment, however when opening the relevant file, the UTF8 is not
   >> displayed correctly,

   Stefan> How is it displayed incorrectly?  Do you see some other
   Stefan> chars than what you expect, or do you see empty squares?
   Stefan> If you see empty squares (i.e. chars for which Emacs can't
   Stefan> find a font), place point on one of them and then do C-u
   Stefan> C-x = which will tell you what this char is.
I presume you don't a difference in
Brüder and Brüder
I see (using ascii-7bits)
Br~A1/4der and Br"uder

I did your C-u C-x = which tells me:

character: Ã (0303, 195, 0xc3)
    charset: eight-bit-graphic (8-bit graphic char (0xA0..0xFF))
 code point: 195
     syntax: whitespace
   category:
buffer code: 0xC3
  file code: 0xC3 (encoded by coding system raw-text-unix)
       font:
       -Adobe-Courier-Bold-R-Normal--18-180-75-75-M-110-ISO8859-1

So indeed it looks like a font problem since emacs uses the iso8859-1
font.

I looked in the font list shift down mouse 1 (in the options->mule)
but there the coding is not specified. I am on debian, does anybody
know whether I have to install a special package for UTF8 fonts?

Thanks

Uwe Brauer