Re: howto: 2 users interactively edit the same file ?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: howto: 2 users interactively edit the same file ?
Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2005 12:52:19 +0200

> From: Tim X <timx@spamto.devnul.com>
> Date: 03 Nov 2005 17:25:54 +1100
>
> OK, I'm quite willing to accept all of that, though I'd still have
> concerns about how performance would be. If I understand you
> corrrectly, wouldn't there be a high likelihood of one input source
> "hogging" things - effectively causing a sort of starvation for the
> other user? There doesn't seem to be any sense of "fair" access in the
> model your describing and I still feel this would be problematic.

It's a round-robin model: whenever some input is found pending, Emacs
retrieves it and processes it, then it goes to see if there's any more
input.  If the input event invokes some expensive processing, the next
event will not be processed until the expensive part is done.  There's
no preemption.

So yes, it could be that one user hogs Emacs and starves the other,
but only for the duration of processing of a single input event (e.g.,
a single keypress or one mouse event).  However, this can happen even
with a single user: you type something that starts a prolonged
operation, then the rest of your input waits in the queue until the
prolonged operation is done.

> I also wonder how emacs will handle things like local variables when
> you have two different users editing in the same buffer. Wouldn't this
> have consequences for things like point and region related commands?

Yes.  But two users using the same Emacs are not supposed to be
fighting each other, they're supposed to cooperate ;-)