Re: Encodings in message

From: Reiner Steib
Subject: Re: Encodings in message
Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2005 16:25:17 +0100

On Fri, Nov 04 2005, Marc Girod wrote:

> In mails and news postings, which I process using Gnus, I tend to see
> all the characters correctly (most of them anyway), but to send while
> replying, what my correspondents see as garbage.
>
> Indeed, looking at my messages with:
>
>   (find-charset-region (point) (mark))
>
> I often notice different charsets.
>
> My question: how to force using only one (iso8859-1 -- forgetting the
> few non supported characters)?

Instead of such a brute force destruction of information, you should
analyze the problem.  But "see as garbage" is not a sufficient
description to even guess what could be wrong.

If you use Gnus/5.9 Emacs/21.2 as your headers suggest, I'd strongly
recommend to upgrade at least to Emacs 21.4.  The Gnus version (also
labeled 5.9) of Emacs 21.4 provides `mm-coding-system-priorities':

,----[ <f1> v mm-coding-system-priorities RET ]
| mm-coding-system-priorities is a variable defined in `mm-util.el'.
| Its value is
| (iso-8859-1 iso-8859-2 iso-8859-15 mule-utf-8)
|
| Documentation:
| Preferred coding systems for encoding outgoing messages.
|
| More than one suitable coding system may be found for some text.
| By default, the coding system with the highest priority is used
| to encode outgoing messages (see `sort-coding-systems').  If this
| variable is set, it overrides the default priority.
`----

Even better than using Emacs 21.4 + Gnus 5.9 would be to upgrade to
Gnus 5.10 available from www.gnus.org.

Unfortunately the latest stable release is still 5.10.6 although the
stable branch in CVS ("v5-10") contains lots of bug fixes to warrant a
release 5.10.7.  Maybe I should tickle Lars again.  :-)

Bye, Reiner.

--
       ,,,
      (o o)