opening file in unix emacs

From: Leip, Eric
Subject: opening file in unix emacs
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2005 11:56:50 -0500

Hello-

I don't know if this is the correct procedure but I was wondering if I could get help with emacs.

I have been using emacs on unix for about 10 years and I always easily opened a file by typing "emacs FILENAME".  At my new job, this only opens the emacs editor and doesn't open FILENAME.  I have tried "emacs -nw FILENAME" and that also just opens an emacs session, not that specific file.  I have checked my .BASHRC file and there are no aliases for emacs.  Any suggestions or is there someone else I could contact?

Thanks

Eric Leip
Senior Biostatistician
PAREXEL International