RE: opening file in unix emacs

From: Leip, Eric
Subject: RE: opening file in unix emacs
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2005 08:51:05 -0500

From: Leip, Eric
Sent: Tuesday, November 08, 2005 12:47 PM
To: 'saint@eng.it'
Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

781.434.4276

-----Original Message-----
From: Gian Uberto Lauri [mailto:GianUberto.Lauri@eng.it]
Sent: Tuesday, November 08, 2005 12:41 PM
To: Leip, Eric
Cc: saint@eng.it; help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

LE> Thanks for the reply.  When I typed "type emacs" I got:
LE> /usr/local/bin/emacs

LE> and that emacs file is:

LE> SHLIB_PATH=/usr/local/lib/pa1.1:/usr/local/lib/pa1.1/X11
/usr/local/bin/emacs-run

LE> and I can't look at emacs-run.

emacs-run is the binary file.

You  invoke  a  shell   script  that  sets  the  envirnoment  variabie
SHLIB_PATH so that Emacs can load some shared libraries.

The solution could be use this shell script

SHLIB_PATH=/usr/local/lib/pa1.1:/usr/local/lib/pa1.1/X11 \
/usr/local/bin/emacs-run $@

(I split the  line at \ for readability sake)  a "trick" commonly used
under Mac OS X to launch the Emacs.app from the command line.

You can  put this script in your  bin (provided that you  put your bin
before /usr/local/bin) or ask your sysadmin to patch the script.

I think that  most users at your site just launch  emacs and then keep
it running all the session long,  you can still use emacsclient to use
the running emacs as an  "editing server" (requires loading the server
lib).

--