Re: List of major modes?

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: List of major modes?
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 23:18:50 +0100

David Reitter wrote:

The following dynamic definition seems to "sort of" work.

(defun major-modes ()
 (apropos-internal "-mode\\'"
   (lambda (mode)
     (and (commandp mode)
      (not (string-match "\\`turn-\\(on\\|off\\)-"
                   (symbol-name mode)))
        (not (assq mode minor-mode-list))))))

I don't know, however, whether minor-mode-list is complete, i.e. whether it contains the not-yet-auto-loaded minor modes. From what I see in easy-mmode.el, it doesn't look like it.

Maybe I should change my mind. It looks good. If you marry this with the code in describe-mode you can perhaps populate minor-mode-list first with all minor modes. At least it seems so in that code. (Older minor modes seems to be in minor-mode-alist.)