fill-paragraph / fill region in latex (auctex) buffer

From: David Reitter
Subject: fill-paragraph / fill region in latex (auctex) buffer
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 19:25:22 +0000

When I do fill-paragraph on a long line that starts with a %, the line is correctly wrapped and a % is added in front of each line.
This is in latex-mode (AUCTeX).

fill-paragraph-function is nil.

When I select a region with the same text, the behavior is different - no %'s are inserted, and I get an undesirable result. This is annoying, because I would want to use fill-region on a whole buffer in order to wrap lines, and it turns all the commented out stuff into text that appears in my latex document...

Is this a bug?
If so, is it due to Emacs or to AUCTeX?