Re: puzzling byte-compile-file message: `=' called for effect

From: Jim Ottaway
Subject: Re: puzzling byte-compile-file message: `=' called for effect
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 16:19:08 +0000

> Again, I am not an expert, so I don't know if this is useful. But the
> fact is that save-excursion executes its arguments in turn and returns
> the value of the last one. Therefore, the value of (= (forward-line
> -1) 0) is not used. This line produces a side effect, however, namely,
> (forward-line -1). But the wrapping of = around it does not make sense
> because its value is irrelevant for the rest of the program.

> Yevgeniy

Ahh yes, of course! Thank you, I have the save-excursion in the wrong
place, it should be

(when (save-excursion
        (and nl-paras-fixed-p
             (goto-char nl-markup-start)
             (goto-char (muse-line-beginning-position))
             (= (forward-line -1) 0)
             (looking-at "^\\S-")))
  (with-current-buffer nl-temp-buffer
    (goto-char (point-min))
    (insert "\n\n")))

I looked at it for ages without noticing that, thank you again.

Regards,

--
Jim Ottaway