[comp.emacs] ediff wide/gnome (emacs 21)

From: Mike Ballard
Subject: [comp.emacs] ediff wide/gnome (emacs 21)
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 21:37:40 GMT

I'm not particularly enamored with gnome but have been using it for
awhile, have things set up so would rather just leave it.

But one of the irritating problems I never had until using gnome is ediff
wide-screen positioning; on-screen emacs is positioned near the right edge
where I want it; when I start ediff (using 'ediff-diff-options "-w"')
9x/10 gnome/its wm leave the left edge of emacs as-is and expands for
ediff off-screen (out of view) to the right.  Besides dropping gnome or
replacing wms, is there any way I can fix this?

I have no idea how/why gnome does this because as I mentioned, it doesn't
do this each and every single time; sometimes it will correctly
expand/reposition to the center but 90% of the time it expands off-screen
to the right (and this inconsistency could be session-to-session or a
couple times it's done this within a single session).

Mike