Re: How to enable tool-bar permanently?

From: Anselm Helbig
Subject: Re: How to enable tool-bar permanently?
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 12:34:17 +0100

> I have read that I can use the .Xresources but I would rather have it in
> my .emacs file.

now, that's an easy one:

        (tool-bar-mode 1)

> What is the reason the the tool-bar is disabled by default?

well, that's a matter of taste, of course. the tool-bar takes up a lot
of screen real estate, and does not offer that many functions (like,
compared to the menu bar). and you can do everything with the keyboard
anyway. furthermore, the toolbar was added in gnu emacs 21 (someone
correct me if i'm wrong), so it presumably was turned off by default
to not confuse users switching from gnu emacs 20 too much.

but i am not an emacs developer, so, just guessing...

kind regards,

anselm