Re: can one run tk/Ruby gui code from an emacs shell with compile?

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: can one run tk/Ruby gui code from an emacs shell with compile?
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 19:18:04 +0100

Am 18.11.2005 um 18:11 schrieb anne001:

I have a small test snipet which runs fine from the terminal prompt
(mac os 10.3.5)
but I can't get it to run from emacs. when I try to compile it in emacs
I get the error
message

/usr/lib/ruby/1.6/tk.rb:7:in `require': No such file to load --
tcltklib (LoadError)

Which Emacs are you using? Carbon, Cocoa/Aqua, X11, or Apple's /usr/bin/emacs which only runs in a terminal?

You could do this, once in Terminal, once in Emacs' shell:

        env | sort -o Terminal.environment
        env | sort -o Emacs.environment

Finally do somewhere (would work in Emcas with ediff too):

        diff Terminal.environment Emacs.environment

This would reveal differences in the runtime environments and might lead you to the difference that causes the different behaviour. Once you've found that difference you can record it in ~/.MacOSX/environment.plist (see Apple's http://developer.apple.com/qa/qa2001/qa1067.html). This file is read by Mac OS X applications (like Carbon or Cocoa/Aqua Emacsen) and helps them to find things in the UNIX world. It won't help /usr/bin/emacs or GNU Emacs in X11 ...

Are you using different shells in Emacs and in Terminal?

How are you executing Ruby? From inside a Makefile?

--
Greetings

  Pete

There's no place like ~