Re: watching files

From: Anselm Helbig
Subject: Re: watching files
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2005 14:55:29 +0100

> I would like to habe emacs check, when ever i reopen a buffer, if the
> correspondig file on disk has changed meanwile. Emacs shold ask me, if i
> want to relode the newer version.
> I thik this feater existsts, but i can't find the switch.

hallo andreas,

emacs checks if there have been changes to the file you are editing
when you try to save it. that's what rgb meant.

there's a minor mode you can active, `auto-revert-mode', which checks
in certain intervals if the file you are editing changed and then
loads the new version. i'm not sure if it asks you when there is a
conflict, i remember that i lost some changes i did when i was still
using it. at least there were problems when you're working on a remote
server which is a little out of sync with your system clock (a few
seconds may be trouble enough if you save often).

to try it for all buffers now, drop this into your .emacs:

        (global-auto-revert-mode 1)

grüße,

anselm