Re: can one run tk/Ruby gui code from an emacs shell with compile?

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: can one run tk/Ruby gui code from an emacs shell with compile?
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2005 16:03:47 +0100

Am 19.11.2005 um 15:19 schrieb Anne G:

PATH=/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/Users/anne:/usr/local/bin:/usr/ X11R6/bin
PWD=/Users/anne/Desktop
SHELL=/bin/bash
SHLVL=1
USER=anne
_=/usr/bin/env
__CF_USER_TEXT_ENCODING=0x1F6:0:0

The terminal shell still works, emacs does not. Same error.

Yes, because PATH still starts with /usr/bin:/bin, so Apple's ruby in /usr/bin is found first. If in Terminal the right ruby is found, you can type there `which ruby` and you have the PATH element (all before /ruby) that needs to be prepended to /usr/bin:/bin:... in the form '<PATH element>:'.

For those graphical Mac OS X applications there is (almost?) no other
way then ~/.MacOSX/environment.plist to prepare them with a suitable
runtime environment.
the site says, I would need to create a directory and a
.plist file, as I have neither one.

To create the empty directory: mkdir ~/.MacOSX

Then in Emacs open in that directory (C-x d, position the cursor, f) the file (C-x f) environment.plist and insert this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd";>
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
        <key>PATH</key>
<string>/Users/pete/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/ usr/local/bin:/sw/bin:/usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin- current</string>
</dict>
</plist>

The text between <string> and </string> is the PATH. What you see is mine, including a place where I have some shell scripts, including places where X11 applications or other programmes from the public domain can be found. So they are accessible from inside any Mac OS X application. (You know how to save a file in Emacs? C-x C-s)

In case you are searching in Emacs for the files that set the bash environment, type in Emacs 'C-x d ~ <RET>'. You will see in the mini-buffer the text '/Users/anne/Desktop/', which is your current working directory. Appending '~' to it makes Emacs to open your HOME directory when you press the return key. And there you see the other side of Mac OS X ... file names starting with '.', colourful directories (folders) ... Is it this what you addressed by writing:

I looked in my panther book at all the bash environment
variables, but I have no clue as to what to do.  Sorry.

--
Greetings

  Pete

Without vi there is only GNU Emacs