Re: can one run tk/Ruby gui code from an emacs shell with compile?

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: can one run tk/Ruby gui code from an emacs shell with compile?
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2005 16:53:50 +0100

Am 20.11.2005 um 15:41 schrieb Anne G:

I commented with # the line in /.emacs_bash and moved the
file from le to el and rebooted.
terminal and emacs still work.

Anne, as I mentioned earlier: there is no reboot necessary (accept you install a new software or an update and the installer tells you to do so). If you make changes to dot-files (like ~/.bashrc) it's sufficient to log off and in again. Mac OS X is not MS Windows.

env | egrep -w 'PATH|DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH'
in the emacs shell:
PATH=/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/ X11R6/bin
DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH=/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lib

This all shows that DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH isn't that relevant as I thought first -- and I could have asked earlier for the path names of the two rubies. But this seemed to be too trivial ...

It makes no sense to report a bug when there is none, when it was just a problem with PATH.

So the environment.plist is needed.

so the environment.plist is important.

Let's say: it's sometimes useful. Anne, you should understand that in Emacs you have two kinds of environment. There is first the environment in which the Emacs process itself runs. This one is affected by settings in ~/.MacOSX/environment.plist. In case you do in Emacs 'M-x compile <RET> then this make process in its own buffer inherits its environment from Emacs. If you type in Emacs' *shell* buffer 'compile ruby filename' then the compile command inherits its environment from the shell, which in your case is bash. Bash inherits of course too from Emacs first, but then there is /etc/profile or ~/.bashrc which apply changes to bash's environment. And finally comes Emacs itself because of ~/.emacs_bash.

So 'env | egrep -w 'PATH|DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH'' in shell and 'M-! env | egrep -w 'PATH|DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH'' in Emacs can deliver different output.

(Think of water coming out of a pipe or tap. The provider sets some standards so that every time you open the tap it's the same. Into one probe you can pour some aroma or syrup, so you have a bit more in it. Another portion of water yoo can pour into a 'filter' that removes lime for a tastier tea. So you have less in that probe. And again you can take probes from these first ones and again you can apply changes to them, add or delete something.)

Against tiredness in shell there are a few means: history, command and file name completion. Emacs' *shell* buffer has its own history of commands. You can browse them with M-up, or search for one with M-r and a regular expression.

Sorry to have taken so much of your time.

Wasn't so bad. I had to wait for some lengthy compilations to finish. And it helps trying to imagine what happens to others.

--
Greetings

  Pete

"I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by" (Douglas Adams)