Re: emacs

From: Pascal Bourguignon
Subject: Re: emacs
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 23:29:20 +0100

tvtel24933@tvtel.pt writes:

> Hi,
>
> I've just installed emacs in my "Caixa mágica" (linux) and I don't know how to
> launch it. I've tried in the terminal type "emacs" but it tells that emacs is
> not a command. Can you help me?

If you have installed it yourself, you must know where it's installed.
Usually, it's /usr/bin/emacs, or /usr/local/bin/emacs, but it can be
anything you specified when installing it (it could be in your home
directory, or in /opt, ...).

If the standard programs locate and updatedb have been installed on
your linux system, then you can locate it with the command:

locate emacs

When you type a command  in the terminal which is not an absolute or a
relative path, the shell searches it in directories listed in the
environment variable PATH.  You can check them with:

echo $PATH

If the path where the emacs command is, is not listed in the PATH
variable, you'll have to add it.  If locate emacs outputs:

/the/path/where/there/is/emacs

then type:

PATH=/the/path/where/there/is:$PATH

To make this change permanent, modify the startup file of your shell.

If you use bash, edit ~/.bashrc, and add in it:

PATH=/the/path/where/there/is:$PATH
export PATH

Cats meow out of angst
"Thumbs! If only we had thumbs!