Re: I can't exit emacs :-/

From: Harald Hanche-Olsen
Subject: Re: I can't exit emacs :-/
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2005 23:27:56 +0100

+ casioculture@gmail.com:

| When I try to exit emacs (C-x C-c) that I had started in the cygwin
| shell (no gui) I can't. I see the C-x come up but when I enter C-c it
| just beeps, but doesn't exit. When I start xemacs instead it does
| start, and when it enter C-x C-c it does exit as expected.
|
| Any ideas what the problem may be?

I'm no windows user, but my guess is that the C-c is trapped by the
terminal/shell window which then sends a signal to emacs as a result.
(This is all unix terminology I'm using here, not sure how well it
maps to the windows setting.)

Use M-x save-windows-kill-emacs to get out.  This is the command run
by C-x C-c (when it works).

- Debating gives most of us much more psychological satisfaction
  than thinking does: but it deprives us of whatever chance there is
  of getting closer to the truth.  -- C.P. Snow