Wrap around and comment function

From: Harry Putnam
Subject: Wrap around and comment function
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 03:56:47 GMT

I'm hoping there is something that does what I describe below
somewhere in a repository.  Or at least something that is close enough
to allow a (seriously) lisp challenged emacs user to get this from it.

I'd like a function that acts on region by inserting a line like this
above region:

# [HP DATE - NOTE: <Here I get queried for a few words then <RET>>
# Then region is commented
# with whatever  comment style
# is dictated by mode.
# Finally insert a line below region like:
# ==*  END HP NOTE *== ]

If that isn't confusing enough I'll try to spell it out.

Write a commented line with some static info:
   [HP DATE - NOTE:
   (Where date is MMDDYY_HHMMSS)
Then the function queries me for a few words of my choice followed by
<RET>  Which is also written to the same line.

When I hit <RET> the function comments the region with whatever
comment is dictated by mode, and inserts a closing line:

   # ==*  END HP NOTE *== ]