Why Ctrl+Shift keys work as ESC? And is it possible to not?

From: Sergey Fukanchik
Subject: Why Ctrl+Shift keys work as ESC? And is it possible to not?
Date: 30 Nov 2005 10:55:53 -0800

I trying to search interactively for string which contains latin
and cyrillic letters at the same time. I press Ctrl-s and start
with latin part. Then, when i need to enter cyrillic letters, i
switch my keyboard layout with Ctrl+Shift. At this moment
my emacs breaks search and leaves minibuffer as if i pressed
ESC.

Why does emacs threats Ctrl+Shift as Esc and is it possible
to make it not?

I run emacs:
GNU Emacs 21.3.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.2.3790)
 of 2004-03-10 on NYAUMO

on microsoft windows with russian (windows-1251) locale.

Btw before that version i run emacs 20.??? and it worked fine.

TIA,
Serge