Re: elisp question

From: N. Raghavendra
Subject: Re: elisp question
Date: 02 Dec 2005 03:07:49 +0530

At 2005-12-01T13:32:02-06:00, Tim McNamara wrote:

> Thank you, I will look into that further.  I didn't realize that Emacs
> had its own fortune program and had errantly thought that the standard
> Unix fortune was being called.

`fortune.el' does use the standard Unix command fortune(6) to do the
actual work.  However, the cookie files used by fortune(6) need not be
the standard ones.  They could, for instance, be the Dhammapada verses
you want to use.

I forgot to point out that before you can do what I had suggested, you
need to create the data files for your fortunes, using strfile(8):

  cd ~/kaya; for i in [0-9]*; do strfile $i; done

Raghavendra.

--
N. Raghavendra <raghu@mri.ernet.in> | See message headers for contact
Harish-Chandra Research Institute   | and OpenPGP details.